City Management Fellowship
The Management Fellow works directly with the Assistant City Manager, the City Manager, as well as department heads and employees throughout the city to learn and grow as a future public administrator. The Management Fellow will be involved in a variety of projects. You are encouraged to ask questions, connect your class material to the work that you are doing, and learn as much as you possibly can.
Examples of Projects and Responsibilities
The projects that you will work on will be unique to your past experience, skills, and interests. A part of being in city management is being flexible and responding to the needs of your community and your commission. For recurring responsibilities, do something different, bring your own ideas into the project, and add your ideas to what is already happening.
Listed below are some past and possible projects assigned to the Management Intern:
- Create the City's Annual Report
- Manage the City's external communications, including website content, social media presence, biweekly email newsletter, and monthly printed newsletter
- Act as staff liaison to committees and/or boards
- Research, create, and present policies for adoption by Commission
- Develop economic development strategies for growth and support of Eudora businesses
- Grant writing & project management
- Enrolled in or recently graduated from a Masters of Public Administration program
- Ability to organize, direct, and coordinate projects and meetings
- Ability to handle sensitive, confidential information appropriately
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Ability to handle multiple demands and balance competing priorities
- Ability to work independently after receiving instructions and guidance
- Basic mathematical skills
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the general public, elected officials, vendors, employees, and citizens
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and related applications
The Eudora City Management Fellowship is advertised each winter, and the internship runs from summer through spring every year. Fellows are able to begin as early as June and as late as early August. The position is a one-year, part-time, paid internship in the City Manager's Office.
Fellows are paid $17.00 per hour.
Past Fellows: Where are they now?
- 2012 - 2013: Barack Matite; Deputy City Manager, Rockville, MD
- 2015 - 2016: Kelly Dumais; Project Coordinator in Physical Development Division, Dakota County, MN
- 2016 - 2017: Jason Rohloff; Budget Analyst, Eau Claire, WI
- 2017: Nicole Macias; Principal Budget and Policy Analyst, Santa Fe, NM
- 2018: Penny Holler; Assistant City Manager, Leavenworth, KS
- 2018 - 2019: Amie Young; Senior Project Lead, Metropolitan Community College, KCMO
- 2019 - 2020: Jeffery Rhodes; Assistant City Administrator, Parkville, MO
- 2020 - 2021: Lauren Freeman; Village Administrator, Village of New Glarus, WI
- 2021 - 2022: Alleigh Weems; Management Analyst, Topeka, KS
- 2022 - 2023: Michael Gentry; Current Management Fellow